NYTimes article on privacy, identity theft

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed May 18 01:04:55 PDT 2005

http://nytimes.com/2005/05/18/technology/18data.html?hp&ex=1116475200&en=7f0572052438ec3b&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Good NYTimes article on privacy, identity theft, and
easy correlation of data in public records.
Usual Suspect Professor Avi Rubin at Johns Hopkins
has his grad students demonstrating things you can find out.
Betty Ostergren's "Virginia Watchdog" website
http://www.opcva.com/watchdog/
reinforces complaints about public records privacy
by outing the records of public officials to make her points to them.

[NYTimes articles usually require free registration;
I'm not sure if there's currently a "cypherpunks" userID there,
but I think some of the strings following the ? in the URL
indicate that you don't need registration if you use this URL..]

		Bill Stewart