Pi: Less Random Than We Thought

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 6 06:42:09 PDT 2005

>From: Sarad AV <jtrjtrjtr2001 at yahoo.com>
>Sent: May 5, 2005 8:43 AM
>To: cyphrpunk at gmail.com
>Cc: cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net
>Subject: Re: Pi: Less Random Than We Thought

Well, if it were generated by a random process, we'd expect to see every
n-bit substring in there somewhere, sooner or later, since the sequence
never ends or repeats.  Thus, the wonderful joke/idea about selling
advertising space in the binary expansion of pi.  Not only will your message
last forever, but it will be seen by any advanced civilization that develops math
and computers, even ones in other galaxies.

--John