Secure erasing Info (fwd from richard at SCL.UTAH.EDU)

sunder sunder at sunder.net
Mon May 2 12:26:18 PDT 2005

Yeah, but these days, I'd go with the largest flash drive I could
afford.  USB2 or otherwise.  I don't believe you can recover data from
these once you actually overwrite the bits (anyone out there know any
different?).

They're either 1 or 0, there's no extra ferrite molecules to the left or
the right of the track to pick up a signal from  ;-)  As always encrypt
the data you write to the device.

I wouldn't overwrite flash repeatedly (i.e. the Guttman method of 35
writes) though, there's a limit on the number of writes, after which it
goes bad.  I'd overwrite it once with random data.