WiFi Launcher?

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Fri Mar 25 21:31:00 PST 2005

At 02:21 PM 3/25/2005, Bill Stewart wrote:
especially if you've got to do a DNS lookup or two.

>Directional Antennas are unlikely to be useful -
>if you've got them aimed right, you might win,
>but you're much more likely to miss entirely
>or have only a few meters that you're in range.

Horizontally directional perhaps not but vertically is a possibility.  By
this I mean an omni antenna with gain, like a stacked dipole.  What this
means is antenna with gain in all compass points but with a flat 'pancake'
vertical profile.  In many driving situations the hot spot is likely to be
within 10 degrees of horizontal. They are commonly used in commercial TV
and radio broadcast.   I think its possible to get 6 or more db gain this
way with a small antenna.  6 db effectively doubles your range.

Steve