WiFi Launcher?

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Fri Mar 25 09:50:04 PST 2005

Thus spake Tyler Durden (camera_lumina at hotmail.com) [25/03/05 10:30]:
: Has anyone heard of a utility that can search for a WiFi hotspot while
: driving and then launch an email?

Someone once said, "Cypherpunks write code."

: In other words, say you want to send out a few anonymous emails, and you
: don't even want to enter a Cyber-cafe or whatever. So you load up the
: emails in your mail tool and drive down Main Street. The launcher utility
: detects the presence of open wi-fi hotspots and belches out a few of the
: emails while the spot's in range....all the while you don't even slow down.
:
: Sounds possible to me. the only problem might be the need for
: authentication, etc...in some hotspots, but given enough hotspots surely
: there are some that don't need it...

I imagine that, depending on where you're driving, you wouldn't need to
bother with hotspot authentication: you're bound to stumble onto an open
WiFi network at *some* point in your journey.

Given that there already exists utilities that detect WiFi networks and map
them with GPS units, I don't think it would take much to, at that point,
run, say, 'postfix start && postqueue -f'.  Or perhaps mixmaster/mixminion
might be more appropriate.

It sounds not only possible, but plausible.  And I'd be surprised if someone
didn't already have this working somewhere.