Golden Triangle Drug Traffic Arbitrage?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Mar 23 18:39:08 PST 2005

    --
On 23 Mar 2005 at 10:27, Tyler Durden wrote:
> China pegs it's currency to US currency. With the
> dropping dollar, this means that there's going to be a
> larger and larger gap between 'reality' (as measured
> in the true cost of goods in a free market) and the
> pegged rate.
>
> On Cypherpunks do I need to explain the idea that this
> difference will inevitably give rise to a big black
> market to exploit that difference?

There will be no black market as long as the chinese
government is prepared to buy US dollars from all comers
at the official rate.  The black market can only happen
if they start saying "well, you are just a regular
person, not a proper registered business, so we will not
buy your dollars, unless you give us a good explanation
of how you came to have them."

In my opinion the official chinese rates are pretty much
in line with reality, are reasonable and realistic. The
chinese government is prepared to buy and sell unlimited
dollars at the official rate, because it thinks that
dollars are reasonably cheap at the official rate, and
they are reasonably cheap, because they can be used to
buy stuff that chinese want, and stuff that the chinese
government wants.

And if the official rates are not reasonable and
realistic, there will be no black market until the
chinese government is simultaneously unwilling or unable
to buy unlimited dollars at the official price, and also
unwilling to change the official price.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     HsbCTO3R0hDvTi4O2HOi/0Y0UtIUZ/LWAkI3C0Wg
     4aRr/HrQ9ZtcE0cqgSbp57xoZ1X3xpgldD4zNHi5M