[p2p-hackers] good-bye, Mnet, and good luck. I'm going commercial! plus my last design doc (fwd from zooko at zooko.com)

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Thu Mar 10 22:48:12 PST 2005

At 12:15 AM 3/10/2005, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > I worked with Bram and Zooko at Mojo Nation (where both BT and Mnet got
> > their respective genesis) and was frankly surprised when the MPAA was so
> > easily able to target and put out of commission BT's trackers.  The
>
>Why? BT is designed with zero privacy in mind.

And this was a profound error, IMHO.  One of the epiphanies from my work at
MN was that a secrecy-oriented proxy network development and successful
deployment needed to precede P2P file sharing if such networks were to
survive determined technical and legal challenges.  End users often care
little about what 'under the hood' of their P2P app only that they can get
the content conveniently and they are not subjected to annoyances like spy
or adware.

> > exposure of the trackers was a prominent topic of MN planning discussions
> > and its odd that precautions, like distributing the tracker functions into
> > clients or hiding them inside a TOR-like proxy network weren't taken
>
>You can post BT links on a P2P network.

But trackers must still be widely accessible by the general population of
BT users and can you offer the content or obtain it without likely
identification?

Steve