[p2p-hackers] good-bye, Mnet, and good luck. I'm going commercial! plus my last design doc (fwd from zooko at zooko.com)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Mar 10 22:26:01 PST 2005

    --
On 9 Mar 2005 at 12:14, Eric Cordian wrote:
> Now, I think we can all agree that it would be lovely to have
> a distributed filesystem, with a global namespace, that
> anyone can put stuff in, and take stuff out of, which
> guarantees anonymity for both producers and consumers of
> content, swarms downloads, has an redundant distributed
> encrypted backing store that lasts forever, is easily and
> quickly searched, can be instantly set up by anyone who
> wishes to use it, never breaks, and starves users who
> unreasonably leech large amounts of resources without
> reciprocating.

Bittorrent, alone, starves users who leach without
reciprocating, but only in certain very limited ways.

As a result of that and swarming Bittorrent has far more
bandwidth available than any other file sharing network.  You
can download big files faster.  If you want to download big
files, use Bittorrent, or hell will freeze over before your
files complete.  But it does not have more files available,
indeed it has fewer, because there is no reward to users for
making a wide range of files available.

The enormous success of bittorrent, and its limitations, should
tell us that the principle of rewarding uploaders and storers,
and starving leachers, is pretty much central to the success of
a protocol and its software.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     MHH97gJAm7xaefDsVkckpP3M1T3kFYcHHE4T6q6e
     4sy0PVrzWWflVPEeAHnZN9+Cf4YNPT7P4feuRNy00