[p2p-hackers] good-bye, Mnet, and good luck. I'm going commercial! plus my last design doc (fwd from zooko at zooko.com)

Steve Schear s.schear at comcast.net
Wed Mar 9 22:06:45 PST 2005

At 12:14 PM 3/9/2005, Eric Cordian wrote:
>If you had a thousand hours of genius programmer time, would you spend it
>embracing and extending Bittorrent, or shoveling through the
>indecipherable bowels of legacy Mnet and Freenet code?

I worked with Bram and Zooko at Mojo Nation (where both BT and Mnet got
their respective genesis) and was frankly surprised when the MPAA was so
easily able to target and put out of commission BT's trackers.  The
exposure of the trackers was a prominent topic of MN planning discussions
and its odd that precautions, like distributing the tracker functions into
clients or hiding them inside a TOR-like proxy network weren't taken earlier.

Steve