SHA1 broken?

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Mon Mar 7 12:01:57 PST 2005

FPGAs will have very hard time to be as fast as "dedicated" CPUs,
frequency-wise. The FPGA structures have to be too generic, and are much
bigger than specialized structures of the CPUs, so they have higher
capacity, which limits the maximum achievable switching frequency. The
length of the wiring between the structures together with the lazy speed
of light plays its role as well. However, the FPGA structure allows
parallelizing of processing tasks, which can in some cases neatly beat the
sequential CPUs.

There are FPGAs with on-chip RISC CPU cores, allowing reaping the benefits
of both architectures in a single chip.