End of a cypherpunk era?

Anonymous cripto at ecn.org
Sat Mar 5 15:03:01 PST 2005

Ian Grigg writes at
http://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000381.html:

: FC exile finds home as Caribbean Brit
:
: Vince Cate (writes Ray Hirschfeld) created a stir a number of years ago
: by relocating to the Caribbean island nation of Anguilla, purchasing a
: Mozambique passport-of-convenience, and renouncing his US citizenship
: in the name of cryptographic and tax freedom.
:
: Last Thursday I attended a ceremony (the first of its kind in Anguilla)
: at which he received his certificate of British citizenship.
:
: But Vince's solemn affirmation of allegiance to Queen Elizabeth, her
: heirs and successors was done for practical rather than ideological
: reasons. Since giving up his citizenship, the US has refused to grant
: him a visa to visit his family there, or even to accompany his wife to
: St. Thomas for her recent kidney surgery. Now as a British citizen he
: expects to qualify for the US visa waiver program.
:
: Is this the end of an era, a defining cypherpunk moment?

"Cypherpunk" responds in the comments: