[>Htech] Tracking a Specific Machine Anywhere On The Net

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Mar 4 09:28:27 PST 2005

Link: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/03/04/1355253
Posted by: Zonk, on 2005-03-04 16:45:00

   from the not-the-sandra-bullock-movie dept.
   An anonymous reader writes "An article on ZDNet Australia tells of a
   new technique developed at CAIDA that involves using the individual
   machine's clock skew to [1]fingerprint it anywhere on the net."
   Possible uses of the technique include "tracking, with some
   probability, a physical device as it connects to the Internet from
   different access points, counting the number of devices behind a NAT
   even when the devices use constant or random IP identifications,
   remotely probing a block of addresses to determine if the addresses
   correspond to virtual hosts (for example, as part of a virtual
   honeynet), and unanonymising anonymised network traces."