Private Homes may be taken for public good

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat Jun 25 02:24:24 PDT 2005

It's an appalling decision, and as Alif says, it's nothing that hasn't
been happening for years already.  Sad to see it formalized, though.

Bush's favorite judges are radical activists when it comes to
interference with most civil rights, especially for non-citizens
or people outside US boundaries, or when it comes to letting the
Administration get away with whatever it wants,
but this case *is* about *property*, so that's as close
as they're going to get to an invitation to do the right thing.

(There was another case recently where Clarence Thomas
voted the right way; I don't remember the issue, but it surprised me.)

 > > How do you stop a bulldozer?
 > [various destructive options.]
Nah.  Paper.  Applied before the bulldozer heads to your property.
Occasionally you need it in mass quantities.

However, there are times you need to stop construction equipment
that's doing bad things - AT&T at least used to fly small planes
over our main cable routes, looking for backhoes that hadn't
checked in with the Don't Dig Here Center.
They'd drop them a package with some papers about
calling the Call Before You Dig people,
a couple of bribes (typically a pair of good work gloves
and a pack of gum), and a pack of playing cards to
give them something to do while waiting around.