[IP] Can't we just get some answers or facts about this?

Sat Jun 11 12:40:19 PDT 2005

INTEL -- responding to continuedmis information on IP

Please remove my name or identifying information if forwarding this to
IP or elsewhere.  I work closely enough to this industry to fear
repercussions.

Yes.  This is one of the technologies used on the Pentium D:

http://www.intel.com/standards/case/case_dtcp.htm

It embeds a private key in each CPU.  The key cannot be directly
extracted, only used for signature and decryption operations.  The
idea is that your computer receives encrypted data from the set-top
box, and can route it to a variety of other targets---but it's always
encrypted when it leaves.  So that might include other PCs in your
home, or a television, or a monitor, or a storage device.  It even
works over IP, counting hops to ensure it doesn't leave your home.

There is a similar technology by Macrovision which appears to also be
supported.

So does it *contain* DRM?  Well, if DRM is policy, no.  Does it
contain content-protection technology?  Absolutely.  Does it contain
technology to help restrict you from using media you purchased in
accordance in fair and legal ways?  Yes.

You are subscribed as eugen at leitl.org
To manage your subscription, go to

----- End forwarded message -----