/. [Intel Adds DRM to New Chips]

DiSToAGe distoage at sbbi.net
Thu Jun 2 02:05:30 PDT 2005

(thanks for interesting answer)

I have read infos that say that audio and video drivers will be in the
trusted chain. If your hardware system is used by an os (i.e. win) on
which you can't create drivers, and only industry signed drivers can be
used you can't bypass this by hacking drivers ...

My though is the hardware drm can be reverse engineered ? If you use
cert on your DRM you must put cert and private keys on your DRM chip ...
So you have somewhere memory (rom or else) where you have this private
and cert datas. So with good tools you can read what are the bits in
this DRM. So you can make a "soft drm" that use all the instructions of
the reverse engineered hard drm, you but the reverse engineered private
key, certs on your soft drm. All this goes on a "emulated" drm part on
your os emulator. So booting the os believe that it is hard, because all
instructions are the same, certs is the same, and private key can be
used by your soft drm to en/crypt drm files ...??? We see that with time
almost all can be reverse engineered, can it be the same with hard drm
systems ??

(so seems happy futur, something you buy and use but don't own ?)

Le mercredi 01 juin 2005 ` 18:09 -0400, Adam Back a icrit :

--
"Perhaps one day "computer science" will, like Yugoslavia, get broken up
into its component parts. That might be a good thing. Especially if it