/. [Intel Adds DRM to New Chips]

DiSToAGe distoage at sbbi.net
Wed Jun 1 09:47:56 PDT 2005

Le samedi 28 mai 2005 ` 21:53 +0200, Eugen Leitl a icrit :
> Link: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/05/28/1718200
> Posted by: Zonk, on 2005-05-28 17:37:00
>
>    from the get-you-where-you-live dept.
>    Badluck writes "Microsoft and the entertainment industry's holy grail
>    of controlling copyright through the motherboard has moved a step
>    closer with Intel Corp. now embedding [1]digital rights management
>    within in its latest dual-core processor Pentium D and accompanying
>    945 chipset. Officially launched worldwide on the May 26, the new
>    offerings come [2]DRM -enabled and will, at least in theory, allow
>    copyright holders to prevent unauthorized copying and distribution of
>    copyrighted materials from the motherboard rather than through the
>    operating system as is currently the case..." [3]The Inquirer has the
>    story as well.
>
> References
>
>    1. http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4915
>    2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management
>    3. http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23548

it seem more compagny are going to put protection and drm in hardware,
to avoid bypassing or cracking it. I ask myself from times about such
systems bypassing with emulators use. The role of an emulator is to work
"as" a real cpu. What would be the usability of such an emulator with
cpu-drm enabled emulation ? The emulator work with real instructions of
drm-cpu, the os belive as a real one. But the emulation software can
give access of such drm datas to softwares running in the host os to
access or modify them. What people here that certainly have better
experiences than me in crypto think about such system ? Is it a possible
flow in new drm protected systems ?

--
"Perhaps one day "computer science" will, like Yugoslavia, get broken up
into its component parts. That might be a good thing. Especially if it