"SSL stops credit card sniffing" is a correlation/causality myth

Tom Weinstein tweinst at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 1 09:27:55 PDT 2005

Ian G wrote:

>But don't get me wrong - I am not saying that we should
>carry out a world wide pogrom on SSL/PKI.  What I am
>saying is that once we accept that listening right now
>is not an issue - not a threat that is being actively
>dedended against - this allows us the wiggle room to
>deploy that infrastructure against phishing.
>
>Does that make sense?

No, not really. Until you can show me an Internet Draft for a solution
to phishing that requires that we give up SSL, I don't see any reason to
do so. As a consumer, I'd be very reluctant to give up SSL for credit
card transactions because I use it all the time and it makes me feel safer.

>What matters is now:  what attacks are happening
>now.  Does phishing exist, and does it take a lot of
>money?  What can we do about it?

If you don't know what we can do about phishing, why do you think that
getting rid of SSL is a necessary first step? You seem to be putting the
cart in front of the horse.

--
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set | Tom Weinstein
him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.| tweinst at pacbell.net