Le no-no

Dave Howe DaveHowe at gmx.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 17:11:38 PST 2005

Tyler Durden wrote:
> Huh? There are IBM laptops with dedicated crypto chips? Although I don't
> claim to be any kind of an expert, I think this has to be wrong. Anyone
> know any different?
well, certainly some thinkpads have encryption of the hard drive; if you
take the hard drive out and try to read it on another system, you find
the drive contains garbage - if and only if you have a bios and startup
password set. the same password is used for both startup access and
drive encryption.
I suspect it is more that they are looking for a reason to block this
sale, and this is the first one they thought of. exactly why they would
like to do this is beyond me - possibly MS would like IBM to still be
tied to them by Windows contracts, or possibly just someone in
government doesn't like the idea of "THE IBM PC" being a chinese company.