Scientists Work on Software to Scan Arabic

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Fri Jan 28 19:27:54 PST 2005

On 2005-01-28T20:03:22-0500, R.A. Hettinga wrote:
> <http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/technology/AP-Arabic-Software.html?oref=login&pagewanted=print&position=>
> The New York Times
> January 27, 2005
> Scientists Work on Software to Scan Arabic
>  By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
>
> ``The whole Internet is skewed toward people who speak English,'' said Venu
> Govindaraju, director of the Center for Unified Biometrics and Sensors at
> the University at Buffalo, where the software is being developed.

Someone give that man a brain, and a cookie.  I don't live near NY.

The internet has nothing to do with scanning written/printed arabic
texts.

He obviously intended to squeeze a complaint about the internet into an
article about scanning printed/written documents.  The reason the
internet is "skewed" is because these idiots want others to "fix" the
internet to accommodate their languages.  As a result, much of the
non-western-language support in software is done by westerners, and so
doesn't work.

--
"War is the father and king of all, and some he shows as gods, others as
men; some he makes slaves, others free."  --Heraclitus (Kahn.83/D-K.53)