Gripes About Airport Security Grow Louder

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Jan 25 10:01:26 PST 2005

One chilling data point. Remember a few years ago the (pro death
penalty) governor of Illinois suspended all the death sentences in
has state? The reason being was that with the introduction of DNA
testing, 1/3 of the people on death row were found to be innocent.

I don't know how many other innocents the state planned to murder,
but presumably there were some cases where DNA evidence was not
available.

If, in a capital case, where the money to pay public defenders
is usually maximally available, and the appeals process, checks,
and cross-checks are the more thorough than in any non-capital
prosecution, you STILL get at least a 33% error rate, then what
is the wrongfull conviction rate in non-capital cases, where there
are far fewer appeals, and public defenders are paid a pittance?

Peter Trei