Scientific American on Quantum Encryption

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 08:43:53 PST 2005

What do you mean? By a physical fiber switch? That's certainly possible,
though you'd need a very good condition switch to be able to do it. I'd bet
if that switch switched a lot, the QCrypto channel would eventually be
unusable.

If you're talking about a WDM element or passive splitter or other purely
optical component, then you'd need some kind of error correction (in the
digital domain) in order to overcome the fact that many of the photons will
not choose to go in the direction you want.

In the long run I think we'll see some small proliferation, but given the
level of integration and how well current coding schemes work, I'd guess
this will remain a niche unless there's a major breakthrough in factoring.

-TD