Carnivore No More

Steve Thompson steve49152 at yahoo.ca
Wed Jan 19 02:21:07 PST 2005

 --- "R.A. Hettinga" <rah at shipwright.com> wrote:
> At 12:31 AM +0100 1/16/05, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> >it is believed that unspecified
> >   commercial surveillance tools are employed now.
>
> It was always AGGroup's Skyline package to begin with.
>
> The FBI is like NASA. They never build anything, and take all the
> credit.

At least we now know that the capabilities of the FBI in this
regard are at least equivalent to that which a good Linux admin
can deploy when he has control of your upstream link.  The FBI
cannot argue in court that their network eavesdropping capabilities
require secrecy and non-disclosure.  Sure they can pretend that
the userland tools are super high-tech, but the analysis and
inteception of arbitrary network traffic is not rocket science.

Regards,

Steve