expectation of privacy

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Wed Jan 12 19:38:54 PST 2005

At 09:01 PM 1/12/05 +0100, Eugen Leitl wrote:

>It's time to blow the lid off this "no expectation of privacy in
>public places" argument that judges and law enforcement now spout out
>like demented parrots in so many situations.

A court refused to hear the case of a man accused of owning unlicensed
pharmaceuticals when a pig entered a locked loo.  The loo was part
of a gas station; the attendant called the pigs.  A prostitute was
in there too, with him, and the area rife with folks of that profession,
FWIW,
which is nothing.  But the court held reduced expectation of privacy in
a public loo.

One imagines much fun with anonymous calls when state employees
are in such places, but this does not temper our disgust, or desire for
karma
with extreme prejudice.