[IP] No expectation of privacy in public? In a pig's eye! (fwd from dave at farber.net)

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Wed Jan 12 12:30:59 PST 2005

Re: the embedded item:

>>http://timesunion.com/AspStories/storyprint.asp?StoryID=322152
>>
>>Ruling gives cops leeway with GPS
>>Decision allows use of vehicle tracking device without a warrant
>>
>>By BRENDAN LYONS, Staff writer
>>First published: Tuesday, January 11, 2005
>>
>>In a decision that could dramatically affect criminal investigations
>>nationwide, a federal judge has ruled police didn't need a warrant when
>>they attached a satellite tracking device to the underbelly of a car
>>being driven by a suspected Hells Angels operative.

Just out of curiosity, if the man doesn't need a warrent to place a
surveilance device, shouldn't it be within your rights to tamper with,
disable or remove such a device if you discover one?  By extension, is
there a business opportunity for bug-sweeping?  Either a storefront or a
properly equipped pickup truck with bright signage.  (oh, yeah... I'm
sure *that* would go over well with the Powers That Be)
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
"It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT