[IP] The DNA round-up on Cape Cod

David Farber dave at farber.net
Mon Jan 10 08:27:15 PST 2005

------ Forwarded Message
From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms at computerbytesman.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 11:18:42 -0500
To: <dave at farber.net>
Subject: The DNA round-up on Cape Cod

Hi,

I live in the town of Truro on Cape Cod about 4 or 5 months out of the year.
This past week, the Truro has been on the national news because the local
police are attempting to obtain DNA samples of all men of the town in order
to solve a three-year old murder case.  Here are a couple of the articles
that give the details of what is going on in this DNA round-up:

   To Try to Net Killer, Police Ask a Small Town's Men for DNA
   http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/10/national/10cape.html

   Truro abuzz over 'swab' DNA testing
   http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/truroabuzz7.htm

I am headed back to my Truro house later this week.  If I am approached by
the police to provide a DNA sample for their round-up of Truro males, I am
planning to refuse.  However, I just realized that I already gave a DNA
sample to the Town of Truro recently.  I paid my property tax bill to the
Truro tax collectors office two weeks ago.  My DNA is on the tax payment
envelope that I licked.

Envelopes are apparently a good source of DNA material according to this
article:

   DNA on Envelope Reopens Decades-old Murder Case
   http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wabc_052103_dnaarrest.html

Richard M. Smith
http://www.ComputerBytesMan.com

------ End of Forwarded Message