Code name "Killer Rabbit": New Sub Can Tap Undersea Cables

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 22 14:01:05 PST 2005

No! Undersea?

Do you take a copy of EVERYTHING and send it back? That might have been more
feasible in the old days, but when a single fiber can run 64 wavelength
optically amplified 10 Gig traffic, I really really doubt it. Or at least,
this would require an undertaking large enough that I doubt they could hide
it.

If they select some traffic then we have to ask, how do they select the
traffic? Even there the mind boggles thinking about the kinds of gear
necessary.

I suspect it's a combination of all sorts of stuff...remember too that all
that traffic has to land somewhere, so theoretically they can access a good
deal of it terrestrially. What you might see, therefore, is a sheath coming
out of, say Iran, is tapped for fibers that proceed on to other unfriendly
nations, and a copy of the traffic pulled back to some nearby land-based
station in a friendly country (so that lots of amplifiers aren't needed).

I'd bet you do see the occasional Variola suitcase, though, requiring a sub
visit once in a while. But I bet they avoid this kind of thing as much as
possible, given the traffic volumes.

-TD