[CYBERIA] a story that might be of interest to cyberians

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Thu Feb 17 06:36:28 PST 2005

--- begin forwarded text

Date:         Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:08:28 -0500
Sender: Law & Policy of Computer Communications <CYBERIA-L at LISTSERV.AOL.COM>
From: Inna Barmash <ibarmash at ALUMNI.PRINCETON.EDU>
Subject: Re: [CYBERIA] a story that might be of interest to cyberians
To: CYBERIA-L at LISTSERV.AOL.COM

This is a really interesting project at Princeton, and it's been going
on for decades. (see the book "Margins of Reality" -
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/015657246X/qid=1108619801/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-8298211-8744829?v=glance&s=books&n=507846)

I've taken the tour of the laboratory and participated in a couple of
the experiments (as a guinea pig, that is).  The feeling there is quite
surreal, and they have dramatized the setting in the lab itself quite
well.  The random number generator is a huge machine with a downstream
of little balls, which the subjects - through the power of immense
consciuos concentration - make go one way or the other.  They also have
a wave-simulating machine, which supposedly echoes the patterns of the
Jersey shore waves.
For at least some of the machines, the researchers have found a
significant effect not only with people in the same room, but subjects
as far as Australia, AND even in the future -  influencing the "random"
outcome of the past ...

It'll be interesting to see if the significant effects are amplified
with more and more subjects pitching in through this international project.

--Inna