[p2p-hackers] SHA1 broken?

Serguei Osokine osokin at osokin.com
Wed Feb 16 00:11:07 PST 2005

> #   * collisions in the the full SHA-1 in 2**69 hash operations,
> #     much less than the brute-force attack of 2**80 operations...

Okay, so the effective SHA-1 length is 138 bits instead of full
160 - so what's the big deal? It is still way more than, say, MD5
length. And MD5 is still widely used for stuff like content id'ing
in various systems, because even 128 bits is quite a lot, never
mind 138 bits.

	Best wishes -
	S.Osokine.
	16 Feb 2005.