What is a cypherpunk?

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Tue Feb 15 13:40:34 PST 2005

On 2005-02-15T13:23:37-0500, Steve Thompson wrote:
>  --- "James A. Donald" <jamesd at echeque.com> wrote:
> [snip]
> > As governments were created to smash property rights, they are
> > always everywhere necessarily the enemy of those with property,
> > and the greatest enemy of those with the most property.
>
> Uh-huh.  Perhaps you are using the term 'government' in a way that is not
> common to most writers of modern American English?

I think it's fair to say that governments initially formed to protect
property rights (although we have no historical record of such a
government because it must have been before recorded history began).
They then developed into monarchies which were only really set up to
protect property rights of the ruler(s).

With the advent of various quasi-democratic forms of government, the law
has been compromised insofar as it protects property rights.  You no
longer have a right to keep all your money (taxes), no longer have a
right to grow 5' weeds in your front yard if you live in a city, and no
longer have a right to own certain evil things at all, at least not
without special governmental permission.  There were analogous
compromises in democratic Athens and quasi-democratic Rome.

When democratic states inevitably fold into tyranny, some of those
restrictions remain.  Right now most states have a strange mix of
property rights protections (e.g. the Berne convention and the DMCA) and
property rights usurpations (e.g. no right to own certain weapons; equal
protection).

--
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who
have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for