Nigerians turn to vigilantes

R.A. Hettinga rah at shipwright.com
Tue Feb 15 06:11:05 PST 2005

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/africa/4265415.stm>

The BBC

Tuesday, 15 February, 2005, 12:38 GMT

 Nigerians turn to vigilantes
By Sola Odunfa
 BBC Africa Live, Lagos

Not so long ago, mangled bodies or charred remains of mob justice victims
littered the streets of Lagos, Nigeria's largest city.

Health workers could hardly cope with removing the bodies immediately.

 Many of the victims died in agony from burning tyre necklaces and others
were either stoned or beaten to death.

 Now, there are many fewer such gruesome deaths because well-organised
vigilante groups have scared many robbers away.

 The police were overwhelmed by the sheer number of the criminals. In
frustration and anger the public decided to take the law into their hands
in self-protection.

 Mob justice became popular in Nigeria during the years of military rule
when violent personal crimes rose uncontrollably.

 "How is your community dealing with crime? "

 Gangs of young men armed with guns and pick-axes rampaged the streets
night and day, robbing people with violence.

 Rape was a common feature in most robberies.

 Security committees

Frightened by the growing crime rate, the public responded by setting up
neighbourhood watch or market security committees who, in turn, engaged
vigilantes.

 "When armed men broke into my residence five years ago. They did terrible
things to my wife and children."
 Anonymous civil servant

They were well paid and armed with locally-made guns and charms.

 The vigilantes usually live in the neighbourhoods they protect; they know
the "bad boys" there.

 They will usually send word to suspects to leave the area or face their wrath.

 If their warning is not heeded, they are known to mount midnight raids on
the suspects' hideout. The result is often brutal death.

 A civil servant who sought anonymity for fear of reprisal, says no robber
should be spared.

 "When armed men broke into my residence five years ago. They did terrible
things to my wife and children."

 "I have not recovered from that psychological wound. Since then I have
been joining any mob anywhere to deal with any robbers caught. They don't
deserve to live," he says.

 Popular support

 Nowadays, most of the killings are carried out by vigilante groups set up
by communities and market traders' groups.

 The activities of the vigilantes are not supported by the police but not
much is done to curb them because they seem to enjoy popular support.

 In Lagos, the best known of the vigilantes are members of the Odua Peoples
Congress (OPC).

 They have a reputation for being ruthless in dealing with suspected
criminals and being incorruptible.

 Despite being outlawed by President Olusegun Obasanjo four years ago, the
OPC continues to enjoy a large measure of public support, not only in Lagos
but all over south-west Nigeria.

--
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA