What is a cypherpunk?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Mon Feb 14 18:29:11 PST 2005

    --

On 14 Feb 2005 at 13:18, ken wrote:
> More commonly states defend the rich against the poor.  They
> are what underpins property rights, in the  sense of "great
> property"

Observe that rich people around the world are hiding their
money in America, despite the fact that progressive taxes,
speculative lawsuits and money laundering laws show the
American government is no friend of the rich.  Still less is
any other government a friend of the rich, or even the
moderately well off, any more than a wolf is the friend of the
deer.

As governments were created to smash property rights, they are
always everywhere necessarily the enemy of those with property,
and the greatest enemy of those with the most property.

> - until the industrial revolution that was mostly rights to
> land other people farm or live on. Every society we know
> about has had laws and customs defending personal property
> (more or less successfully) but it takes political/military
> power to defend the right to exact rent from a large estate,
> and state power to defend that right for thousands or
> millions of landowners.

For thousands indeed - but not for millions - which is why only
massive state confiscation of property can create a society
where landowners number in the mere thousands.

The old west, and australian squatters, show that fairly large
estates, texan size, can exist even in the face of active
hostility from a state that refuses to recognize those property
rights, and actively seeks to destroy them.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     NSa2rHCplLHx15v3Gnuif4Ikp13vGHgGAD4FsQ/L
     4sfxn6VBdoXUsN8RPTiWcftpni6ER6qYlKqWLq0Ys