Team Building?? WIMPS!!

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Sun Feb 13 04:22:43 PST 2005

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Tyler Durden wrote:

> Well, I didn't say it would be easy. We'd definitely need to split up into
> teams...one to handle the alarm systems,

Teamwork is essential here.

Maybe attract a lightning with a rocket on a wire[1], the induced current
will do the job with the sensors around. Optionally annoy the sensors with
spurious alarms until they get written off as unreliable[2]. Keep
disabling the technicians that come to check/repair them[3], until the
base staff either runs out of technicians or writes off the sensors.
Technology can be a strength, but overreliance on it is a weakness.

[1] I believe lightning researchers do this, in addition to having labs on
tops of skyscrapers. See eg. <http://bat.nmt.edu/galeski/>.

[2] US agents did it with sugar pellets shot at the windows of the
Russian embassy in Washington, DC, during the thunderstorms that are
frequent there. The vibration sensors were causing false alarms, so they
were disconnected. Then one night the agents successfully penetrated the
object. Same with rebels in Afghanistan attacking Russian bases. (Bruce
Schneier, Beyond Fear, page 56:
<http://www.granneman.com/personal/commonplacebook/security/bruceschneiersbeyondfear.htm>)

[3] I think it was used during WW2. The comm wires were cut, then the
soldier dispatched to check the failure was ambushed. Used frequently by
guerrillas fighting Germans in the mountains.

> one to handle the landmines,

Optionally just add couple more mines and then wait.[4]

[4] As a classic joke says. A farmer had a pumpkin field. Neighbourhood
boys were stealing them. One day, he put up a sign: "One of the pumpkin is
laced with cyanide." In the evening, he found scribbled there: "Now they
are two".

> one to somehow fend off May's bullets.

History books are full of prior art.

Or just drive a remotely controlled tank in.

Or modify the strategy. As Sun Tzu says, the best battles are the ones won
without fighting.

> And then, even if we somehow capture May, I'd bet he's got all sorts of
> dead-man stuff like poison gas and whatnot. It'd be like a big game of
> D&D, not that any Cypehrpunk knows what THAT is!

It would be closer to a LARP.

> And yeah, there's a good chance someone's not gonna make it. But think of it
> like this: Those genes were slowing down our species anyway.

The best fun often has the highest price.

> The only problem is, what do we do once we're in? Throw a big-ass drinking,
> whoring Shriners-like party? (I say we need a bevvy of black hookers.) Break
> into May's survivalist supplies?

Don't worry. Look at the Iraq Desert Adventure planning stage. Who needs a
post-victory plan?