Cypherpunk help with Hal Finney demo

Hal Finney hal at finney.org
Fri Feb 11 16:14:14 PST 2005

Here's a semi-urgent request.  I introduced the RPOW project last year
on this list, rpow.net.  It provides a sort of play-money form of digital
cash, an implementation of Nick Szabo's concept of "bit gold".

I am giving a talk at CodeCon, www.codecon.org, on this system, in about
an hour(!) and I could use some help from you.

One of the things I have done to demo a possible use is to make a
patched version of BitTorrent, the widely used file sharing program, that
exchanges RPOW data objects in order to reward people for uploading and
seeding files.  In exchange, people with RPOWs can get priority on future
downloads, so by seeding today you can get a better download tomorrow.
That's the concept, although at this point it is just an experiment.

What I need is to have a dozen or so people doing regular BitTorrent
downloads of a file I will offer during the demo, which will be at
about 5:15 PM Pacific Standard Time, 8:15 PM EST, 1:15 AM GMT.  That's 1
hour from now.  You don't need to use any special RPOW software, just
the regular BitTorrent client.

If you have a BitTorrent client and know how to use it, could you start
up and leave running a download of the following .torrent file:

http://www.finney.org/~hal/ArkyMovie.mpg.torrent

This is fully legal, it's just a home movie of my dog Arky playing on
the beach with his brother.

Nothing will happen with the download until I start the demo after 5.
But if you could start up your BitTorrent client before then and just
leave it running, it would be a big help for me.

If you are able to do this, please send me an email when you start up your
BT client, at hal at finney.org.  If you've never used BT, don't bother to
try downloading and figuring it out.  I only really need a minimum of
4 or 5 people doing it, but as I said a dozen or more would be great.

Sorry about the last minute notice; I know that most people won't see
this until too late, but if anyone sees it now and you know how to use
BT I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Hal Finney