[i2p] weekly status notes [feb 8]

jrandom jrandom at i2p.net
Tue Feb 8 12:57:44 PST 2005

Hi y'all, update time again

1) 0.4.2.6-*
2) 0.5
3) i2p-bt 0.1.6
4) fortuna
5) ???

* 1) 0.4.2.6-*

It doesn't seem like it, but its been over a month since the 0.4.2.6
release came out and things are still in pretty good shape.  There
have been a series of pretty useful updates [1] since then, but no
real show stopper calling for a new release to get pushed.  However,
in the last day or two we've had some really good bugfixes sent in
(thanks anon and Sugadude!), and if we weren't on the verge of the
0.5 release, I'd probably package 'er up and push 'er out.  anon's
update fixes a border condition in the streaming lib which has been
causing many of the timeouts seen in BT and other large transfers,
so if you're feeling adventurous, grab CVS HEAD and try 'er out.  Or
wait around for the next release, of course.

[1] http://dev.i2p.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/i2p/history.txt?rev=HEAD

* 2) 0.5

Lots and lots of progress on the 0.5 front (as anyone on the i2p-cvs
list [2] can attest to).  All of the tunnel updates and various
performance tweaks have been tested out, and while it doesn't
include much in the way of the various [3] enforced ordering
algorithms, it does get the basics covered.  We've also integrated
a set of (BSD licensed) Bloom filters [4] from XLattice [5],
allowing us to detect replay attacks without requiring any
per-message memory usage and nearly 0ms overhead.  To accomodate our
needs, the filters have been trivially extended to decay so that
after a tunnel expires, the filter doesn't have the IVs we saw in
that tunnel anymore.

While I'm trying to slip in as much as I can into the 0.5 release, I
also realize that we need to expect the unexpected - meaning the
best way to improve it is to get it into your hands and learn from
how it works (and doesn't work) for you.  To help with this, as I've
mentioned before, we're going to have a 0.5 release (hopefully out in
the next week), breaking backwards compatability, then work on
improving it from there, building a 0.5.1 release when its ready.

Looking back at the roadmap [6], the only thing being deferred to
0.5.1 is the strict ordering.  There'll also be improvements to the
throttling and load balancing over time, I'm sure, but I expect
we'll be tweaking that pretty much forever.  There have been some
other things discussed that I've hoped to include in 0.5 though,
like the download tool and the one-click update code, but it looks
like those will be deferred as well.

[2] http://dev.i2p.net/pipermail/i2p-cvs/2005-February/thread.html
[3] http://dev.i2p.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/i2p/router/doc/
                    tunnel-alt.html?rev=HEAD#tunnel.selection.client
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloom_filter
[5] http://xlattice.sourceforge.net/index.html
[6] http://www.i2p.net/roadmap

* 3) i2p-bt 0.1.6

duck has patched up a new i2p-bt release (yay!), available at the
usual locations, so get yours while its hot [7].  Between this
update and anon's streaming lib patch, I pretty much saturated my
uplink while seeding some files, so give it a shot.

[7] http://forum.i2p.net/viewtopic.php?t=300

* 4) fortuna

As mentioned in last week's meeting, smeghead has been churning away
at a whole slew of different updates lately, and while battling to
get I2P working with gcj, some really horrendous PRNG issues have
cropped up in some JVMs, pretty much forcing the issue of having a
PRNG we can count on.  Having heard back from the GNU-Crypto folks,
while their fortuna implementation hasn't really been deployed yet,
it looks to be the best fit for our needs.  We might be able to get
it into the 0.5 release, but chances are it'll get deferred to 0.5.1
though, as we'll want to tweak it so that it can provide us with the
necessary quantity of random data.

* 5) ???

Lots of things going on, and there has been a burst of activity on
the forum [8] lately as well, so I'm sure I've missed some things.
In any case, swing on by the meeting in a few minutes and say whats
on your mind (or just lurk and throw in the random snark)

=jr
[8] http://forum.i2p.net/