What is a cypherpunk?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 6 12:23:05 PST 2005

Well, I agree with the general gist of this post though not it's specific
application.

OK...a Cypherpunk ultimately believes that technology and, in particular,
crypto give us the defacto (though, as you point out, not dejure) right to
certain levels of self-determination and that this 'right' is ultimately
exerted indepedent of any governing bodies. In the end, most likely despite
any governing bodies. Moreover, it has been argued (in general fairly well,
I think) that attempting to exert one's 'rights' through a 'democratically
elected' mob is rarely much more than mob rule. "We have voted to ransack
your home." OK, that I think is well understood.

BUT, an essentially Cypherpunkly philosophy does not preclude any kind of
action in the legal/governing realm, particularly when it's recognized that
said government can easily make it very difficult to live the way one wants.
In other words, if Kodos is promising to start curfew laws and make
possession or use of crypto a crime, I'll probably vote for Kang in the dim
hopes this'll make a difference.

Things get sticky when you start talking private sector...unlike most
Cypherpunks I don't subscribe to the doctrine that,
"Private=Good=Proto-anarchy"...Halliburton is a quasi-government entitity,
AFAIC, the CEO of which 'needs killing' ASAP. In the US Private industry has
a way of entangling it's interests with that of the Feds, and vice versa, so
I don't see any a priori argument against establishing some kind of "rear
guard" policy to watch the merger and possibly vote once in a while. With
Palladium it's easy to see the Feds one day busting down your doors when
they find out you broke open the lock box and tore out their little
citzen-monitoring daemon inside, which they put in there working with
Microsoft.

With respect to TCPA, however, I happen to agree with you. IN particular, I
think most people will put 2 and 2 together and remember that it was
Microsoft in the first place that (in effect) caused a lot of the security
problems we see. Watch mass scale defections from Microsoft the moment they
try a lock-box approach...or rather, the moment the first big
hack/trojan/DoS attack occurs leveraging the comfy protection of TCPA.

-TD