Auto-HERF: Car Chase Tech That's Really Hot

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Sat Feb 5 22:52:48 PST 2005

At 06:41 PM 2/4/05 -0800, Steve Schear wrote:
>At 10:15 AM 2/4/2005, R.A. Hettinga wrote:
>
>>  "The beautiful part of using the (microwave) energy is that it
leaves the
>>suspect in control of the car," he said. "He can steer, he can brake,
he
>>just can't accelerate."
>
>Sorry Charlie, but I think newer vehicles are moving to fly-by-wire
>steering, especially hybrids that don't have an internal combustion
engine
>running all the time so they can't easily use traditional hydraulic
servo
>steering.

Also amusing will be the congealed lenses of bystanders,
dead pacemaker wearers, fried business computers,
in addition to the accidents caused by other disabled cars.
But the cops will get their man, and the rest is collateral damage, put
it on the perp's ticket.

Besides, the ECU is shielded pretty well by the car metal and the unit
itself is shielded from the electrical ignition noise.  But someone
needs to explain that to this "executive" who fancies himself
an inventor and can't wait to suckle Caesar's teat, selling "cyber
terrorist" gizmos to
the man.

Personally I only use the magnetron & horn (concealed in my rooftop
fiberglass luggage holder) on
inconsiderate cell-phone-using drivers.   Better than jamming, because
they get to kiss their
RF front end goodbye, permenantly.  So it helps everyone for several
days, *and* sells
new handsets, helping the economy.   Works on pig radios too.

Also works on the thumpa-thumpa drivers, and when I turn the power up I
find that
Chihauha's skulls are not meant to take internal pressure; a steam
explosion is
pretty messy, and fuzzy dice don't really clean the insides of
windshields terribly well.