[i2p] weekly status notes [feb 1] (fwd from jrandom at i2p.net)

Steve Thompson steve49152 at yahoo.ca
Wed Feb 2 09:11:32 PST 2005

 --- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from jrandom <jrandom at i2p.net> -----
>
> From: jrandom <jrandom at i2p.net>
> Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:03:02 -0800
> To: i2p at i2p.net
> Subject: [i2p] weekly status notes [feb 1]
[snip]
> Thats all I have for the moment (good thing too, as the meeting
> starts momentarily).  As always, post up your thoughts whenever and
> wherever :)

Ha ha.

Just why is it that "we" should post "up" our thoughts when it is
now the norm to ignore such thoughts if they (a) come from the
'wrong' source, or (b) if said thoughts do not mesh in the
approved fashion with the agendas of the moment?

I've recently come to a realisation that the reason why most
people are accepting of the current environment of highly
tuned and structured radio/television media and news content
is that the common themes underlying most such input gives
people a false sense of inclusion and belonging.  Sure, the
cognitive neural structures that become trained and tuned to
one broad class of input leverage some of the basic and
flexable architecture of the human mind, and this leads to
what some would consider a higher commonality of performance
in communication and interaction with like others, but the
loss of fundamental flexability in thought and debate in
public spaces is an unacceptable compromise in so far as
I am concerned.

Excuses that in turn leverage the idea that the present status-
quo is the best we've got at the moment, in terms of fostering
a community of purpose among people of a single culture, and
also in terms of avoiding an `unproductive' factionalisation
of the citizenry, strike me as being without sustainable merit.

Am I making sense here, or is this merely superficially
obfuscated surplus verbiage?  You decide.  In the meantime
I will further consider, in my few moments of quiet and
solitude, the negative aspects of the current state in which
civil and human rights are selectively applied only to those
who kiss ass in the 'approved' fashion.

Regards,

Steve