[i2p] weekly status notes [feb 1]

jrandom jrandom at i2p.net
Tue Feb 1 13:03:02 PST 2005

Hi y'all, weekly status time

1) 0.5 status
2) nntp
3) tech proposals
4) ???

* 1) 0.5 status

There has been lots of progress on the 0.5 front, with a big batch
of commits yesterday.  The bulk of the router now uses the new
tunnel encryption and tunnel pooling [1], and it has been working
well on the test network.  There are still some key pieces left to
integrate, and the code is obviously not backwards compatible, but
I'm hoping we can do some wider scale deployment sometime next week.

As mentioned before, the initial 0.5 release will provide the
foundation on which different tunnel peer selection/ordering
strategies can operate.  We'll start with a basic set of
configurable parameters for the exploratory and client pools, but
later releases will probably include other options for different
user profiles.

[1]http://dev.i2p.net/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/i2p/router/doc/tunnel-alt.html?rev=H
EAD

* 2) nntp

As mentioned on LazyGuy's site [2] and my blog [3], we've got a new
NNTP server up and running on the network, reachable at nntp.fr.i2p.
While LazyGuy has fired up some suck [4] scripts to read in a few
lists from gmane, the content is pretty much of, for, and by I2P
users.  jdot, LazyGuy, and myself did some research into what
newsreaders could be used safely, and there seem to be some pretty
easy solutions.  See my blog for instructions on running slrn [5]
to do anonymous newsreading and posting.

[2] http://fr.i2p/
[3] http://jrandom.dev.i2p/
[4] http://freshmeat.net/projects/suck/
[5] http://freshmeat.net/projects/slrn/

* 3) tech proposals

Orion and others have put up a series of RFCs for various tech
issues up on ugha's wiki [6] to help flesh out some of the harder
client and app level problems out there.  Please use that as the
place to discuss naming issues, updates to SAM, swarming ideas, and
the like - when you post up there, we can all collaborate at our own
place to get a better result.

[6] http://ugha.i2p/I2pRfc

* 4) ???

Thats all I have for the moment (good thing too, as the meeting
starts momentarily).  As always, post up your thoughts whenever and
wherever :)

=jr