[p2p-hackers] p2p in some place or other

Serguei Osokine Serguei.Osokine at efi.com
Tue Dec 13 11:50:31 PST 2005

On Tuesday, December 13, 2005 Michael Rogers wrote:
> I believe eMule allows the uploader to assign different priorities
> to different files - I'd like to be able to do this in Gnutella, to
> make the rarer (or better) content on my node easier to find...

	Tha is more like "easier to download", but I see what you're
saying. Yes, at some point I used to place hight hopes on this method,
basically thinking that the transfer rates for the rare content can
be improved at the expense of the popular one. Popular content can be
found at lots of places anyway, so penalizing it should not hurt all
that much; for me the goal was to equalize the download rates for
all content regardless of its popularity. So if improving the rare
content download speed would make the widely distributed content
transfers a bit slower (because the systemwide cumulative uplink
bandwidth is a scarce resource, after all), so be it.

	Unfortunately the statistical research of the P2P systems
(the one that I've already quoted in this thread) shows that from
the uploader standpoint the prioritization of rare vs popular content
does not cover a very significant percentage of all upload situations.

	The typical upload scenario is not only "some popular, some
rare, so give the rare more bandwidth". Just as widespread is "many
rare uploads from one node", in which case changing their relative
priorities is pointless, and also "rare upload from a single node",
in which case no matter what this node does, the speed is going to
be substandard.

	And let me reemphasize this again - these scenarios seem to be
very common. Essentially the download speed for the rare content is
limited by the uplink rates of the nodes with rare content, even if
all the nodes are always on and spend just a small percantage of their
online time downloading. For popular content, you can have very fast
downloads in such a case; you can even saturate your downlink if you
wish. But for rare content, you're still stuck with whatever is the
uplink rate of a single node that has this file.

	As the nodes start spending more time on line, this disparity
becomes more and more pronounced no matter how you prioritize the
uploads. And seeing this causes the user frustration on a significant
percentage of all downloads (on everything that is in the long tail).

	Best wishes -
	S.Osokine.
	13 Dec 2005.