[declan at well.com: [Politech] Montana Supreme Court justice warns Orwell's 1984 has arrived [priv]]

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:26:48 PDT 2005

On 8/21/05, Tyler Durden <camera_lumina at hotmail.com> wrote:
> As for crystal meth, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but if I want
> to pour something from my chemistry set down my throat that shouldn't be
> anybody's business. The fact that it doesn't accidentally kill me and indeed
> gives me a buzz shouldn't be the sole provence of the pharmaceutical
> companies. After that, if you want to make laws about selling the stuff well
> that's a different matter.

the state of oregon just passed a law (yet to be put into effect) that
requires a prescription from a doctor for all sudafed (pseudo
ephedrine) purchases.  the problem isn't drug addicts killing
themselves with corrosive fluids, as this would be a problem that
solves itself in short order, but rather that meth heads are idiotic
crime machines.  i've had numerous friends and acquaintances affected
by this (vehicles stolen or broken into, property damaged and/or
stolen, tweakers robbing at knife point, etc, etc) and it's getting
ridiculous*.

big brother isn't the answer, but when you get a lot of pissed off
citizens and overwhelmed police involved the solutions they settle for
are going to be ugly and invasive.

what a fucking mess...

----

* last week a tweaker out of jail for only a few weeks went around to
our hay growers neighbors and stole all sorts of random crap from
homes up and down the road he lived on.  everything from elk antlers
to hand made arrows for bow hunting, power tools loaded into a wheel
barrow, the most random crap.  the only reason he didn't hit our hay
grower was that last time he stole from them they went to his parents
house and told him "the next time your son steals from my home you'll
be attending a funeral".  now that's closer to an effective solution.
:)