Gubmint Tests Passport RFID...

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 9 10:46:24 PDT 2005

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,68451,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2

And since one's passport essentially boils down to a chip, why not implant
it under the skin?

As for the encryption issue, can someone explain to me why it even matters?
It would seem to me that any "on-demand" access to one's chip-stored info is
only as secure as the encryption codes, which would have to be stored and
which will eventually become "public", no matter how much the government
says, "Trust us...the access codes are secure."

Seems to me, the only way to secure the RFID encrypted info would be if the
owner (uh, I mean the citizen unit) releases said info via a personal
encryption code, known only to the user and not by ex-welfare Gate goons.
But I seriously doubt that that is what the government is "thinking about".
(ie, they want to be able to read your RFID wihtout you having to perform
any additional actions to release the information.)

The only way I see it making a difference is perhaps in the physical
layer...encryption + shielding is probably a lot more secure than encryption
without shielding, given an ID "phisher" wandering around an airport with a
special purpose briefcase.

-TD