[Clips] Finger points to British intelligence as al-Qaeda websites are wiped out

Dan McDonald danmcd at east.sun.com
Mon Aug 1 14:12:38 PDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 01:51:57PM -0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
> What?!! 300MB/s for a Tor node? OK, I'm a telecom guy and not a data guy but
> that sounds suspiciously like someone loaded up an OC-3's worth of traffic

300Mbits (using Eugen's quote), is 2xOC-3.  (OC-3 carries 155Mbit/sec ATM,
but if it's IP/PPP/OC-3 you use more of the 155Mbits/sec).

A couple of hacked university zombie armies can generate that kind of
traffic.  I'm *not* a telecom guy, but don't most U's have at least an OC-3
out to the backbones today?

I'm surprised that the target node has that much INBOUND bandwidth, quite
frankly.

Dan