Email Certification?

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Wed Apr 27 16:16:53 PDT 2005

On 2005-04-27T16:09:12-0400, Tyler Durden wrote:
> Oh...this post was connected to my previous one.
>
> Is there some way to make it evident that someone has opened your email?

Hotmail could make this evident.

- Force deleted messages to remain in the Trash bin for a week after
  receipt of the message, and display all Trashed mail in the Inbox with
  red strikethrough.

- Record and display login ip addresses, dates, times, in the style of
  unix "last".

Each addresses different aspects of the problem.

> Right now, I can't think of anything you could do aside from suggesting
> that hotmail (or whoever) offer some kind of encryption service.

If you're worried about unsophisticated attackers reading your mail, why
not use PGP or S/MIME?  That's one of the things encryption is for.  Of
course that wouldn't prevent an intruder from deleting all your mail,
but hopefully the sender would notice your lack of response and contact
you out-of-band.  Nobody should consider email a reliable communications
medium these days.