Email Certification?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 27 13:09:12 PDT 2005

Oh...this post was connected to my previous one.

Sorry...my ideas along these lines are still a little foggy but I'll try to
articulate.

Basically, let's assume someone with some resources has cracked your email
and wants to monitor what you send and receive. let's also assume they don't
want you to know it. Let's assume they also are not particularly thrilled
about having hotmail know what they're up to (if needs be they can obtain a
warrant, etc..., but this is clearly less than desirable compared to more
direct techniques). It seems fairly easy to me to (for instance) create a
bot that duplicates all of the email and resends it to your hotmail account
so that when you log in everything looks fresh and new. (There are probably
easier ways to do this via direct hacks of hotmail).

Is there some way to make it evident that someone has opened your email?

Right now, I can't think of anything you could do aside from suggesting that
hotmail (or whoever) offer some kind of encryption service.

BUT, it occurs to me that you might be able to have gmail forward your mail
to hotmail via some intermediate application you've set up that takes the
timestamp and whatever and creates a hash.

Now your 'observer' of course could possibly go over to hotmail and try the
same tricks, but this might be harder...the forwarded emails might not last
very long. this might require a pretty heavy hack into gmail or else a
subpeona, in which case they are much closer to the surface than
before...'they' need more resources and possibly subject themselves to the
legal system, which they probably still want to avoid.

-TD