Email Certification?

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed Apr 27 16:04:54 PDT 2005

I'm still having trouble understanding your threat model.
If you're talking about somebody who can get Hotmail's cooperation,  e.g.
cops or sysadmins,
there's no way you can prevent them from doing anything they want to your
incoming mail.
If you're worried about crackers guessing your password,
then some web-based email systems automatically mark mail as read,
some don't, some let you mark it, some let you remark it as unread.
(I haven't ever used hotmail, and my cat stopped using it when the
Child Online Protection Act required Hotmail to cancel accounts
for anybody under 13 years old who didn't have parental permission,
so the interface has probably changed since I last saw it.)

Are you worried specifically about Hotmail?
You're mentioning using gmail to pre-filter your hotmail messages -
gmail's going to have similar potential threats,
except that it's probably better managed,
and if you're going to send the mail to gmail anyway,
why not just read it on gmail?
In general, if you've sent unencrypted email to an untrusted system,
then you've got no way of knowing that it hasn't been read.