Google prioritises results for firefox and mozilla users

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Tue Apr 5 11:37:18 PDT 2005

Sarad AV

> hi,
>
> news below:
>
> http://www.net4nowt.com/isp_news/news_article.asp?News_ID=2809
>
> Google is way too fast. Whats the difference seraching
> using google in 10 milliseconds and in 5
> milliseconds?Perhaps they are taking some load off
> their server? I fail to see how it is useful to the
> search client.
>
> Sarad.

They're not speeding up the search; they're speculatively
pre-loading whatever the top result is into your browser,
so if you click on it, that page comes up faster.

Of course, this has potential negatives:

* It increases traffic.
* If you're behind a corporate firewall, it
  logs you as having connected to that site,
  and may raise alerts about your visiting
  of certain sites.
* Content you might not want on your machine
  winds up in the cache. Same for cookies.
* The site *may* turn up in your history
  (I haven't checked this).
* The site logs your IP as having connected.

I've turned this feature off.

Peter Trei