mu-metal Altoids

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Apr 4 18:48:36 PDT 2005

At 07:54 PM 4/3/05 -0500, Riad S. Wahby wrote:
>Thomas Shaddack <shaddack at ns.arachne.cz> wrote:
>> Putting the tag into an enclosure made of a feromagnetic material
helps,
>> though. Altoids can proved to be a pretty effective shielding.
>
>Clearly we need mu-metal Altoids tins.

Mu-metal is expensive and I've heard that cold-working it reduces its
permeability.  The idea of ultracheap (ie, disposable) shields is
a Good Thing, and better than Enemy of the State's Brin's potato-chip
bag elevator stunt.

-------
"...ordinary household products (if one were so inclined)..." -TD
peroxide + nail polish + sulphuric drain cleaner = TATP