[silk] Google Targeted ads - gmail (fwd from rishab at dxm.org)

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Apr 4 18:44:23 PDT 2005

At 11:26 AM 4/1/05 -0800, cypherpunk wrote:
>On Apr 1, 2005 10:57 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>> Now here's your one stop shop for evil. A position for Google
minister for
>> propaganda is about to be posted, so I hear.
>
>Let's get this straight. It's not evil if people are voluntarily
>agreeing to it! Maybe you're being facetious but you undermine the
>significance of true evil by applying the word to voluntary
>relationships. Cypherpunks should support noncoercive information
>relationships because they give users the option to protect their own
>privacy. Nobody is forced to use Google, and technology exists to
>allow it to be used in a privacy protecting way.
>
>True evil would be a system which takes away your options and forces
>you to interact in a way that prevents you from protecting yourself.
>Google is 180 degrees removed from such an approach.

1. The author is entirely, c'punkly correct.  Trading your DNA for a
hamburger is entirely voluntary, consensual, ergo moral.  That
Joe Sixpack is a sheep with her butt in the air is not relevant.
Temple Grandin (a future Google BOD member) has designed
really comfy slaughterhouses.

2. If you don't encrypt, you broadcast.  End of story.