[silk] Google Targeted ads - gmail (fwd from rishab at dxm.org)

cypherpunk cyphrpunk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 11:26:46 PST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 10:57 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> Now here's your one stop shop for evil. A position for Google minister for
> propaganda is about to be posted, so I hear.

Let's get this straight. It's not evil if people are voluntarily
agreeing to it! Maybe you're being facetious but you undermine the
significance of true evil by applying the word to voluntary
relationships. Cypherpunks should support noncoercive information
relationships because they give users the option to protect their own
privacy. Nobody is forced to use Google, and technology exists to
allow it to be used in a privacy protecting way.

True evil would be a system which takes away your options and forces
you to interact in a way that prevents you from protecting yourself.
Google is 180 degrees removed from such an approach.

CP