Mystification of Identity: You Say Yusuf, I Say Youssouf...

John Kelsey kelsey.j at ix.netcom.com
Tue Sep 28 06:14:33 PDT 2004

Yep.  It turns out that broad and scary police powers don't make you any smarter or wiser or more careful, they just make it easier for you to insist on obedience and stifle complaints.  Post 9/11, flight attendants and airline employees have more authority to order passengers around and deny people boarding, but they're still the same people they were on 9/10, they're presumably only marginally better at spotting terrorists (at least not obviously Arab-looking terrorists).  They just have more power, and fewer consequences when they screw up.

>-TD

--John Kelsey